The Book of the Month for July is Gavin de Becker’s bestselling book “THE GIFT OF FEAR.”
De Becker’s book was published in 1997, (387 pages, Hardcover) and made the New York Times bestseller list for four months. Since that time, it has been published in 13 languages and in 2006 an abridged Audio CD was produced. (FYI For those of you who don’t like to read!) It has been endorsed by every major women’s magazine, and has been featured numerous times on the Oprah show and other television programs. Time and Newsweek has also run stories on the book.
The book’s primary purpose is to demonstrate through stories (drawn from De Becker’s life and his decades studying violence) that violent acts are NOT random and unpredictable. He believes there are distinct warning signs–we just need to learn to see them and appropriately decipher these signs.
Specific topics “THE GIFT OF FEAR” addresses:
* Recognize the survival signals that warn us about risk from strangers
* Rely on their intuition
* Separate real from imagined danger
* Predict Dangerous Behavior
* Evaluate whether someone will use violence
* Move beyond denial so that their intuition works for them
ALSO included are “higher-risk” situations and solutions:
What is the best way to respond to threats?
* Will the employee I must fire react violently?
* How should I handle the person who refuses to let go?
* What are the dangers posed by strangers?
* How can I help my loved ones be safer?
This book is a must-read for anyone in the Executive Protection field, and one to share with clients so they can help you to protect them!