By Matt Stiehm Ed.D
In life what is a piece of paper worth? Well a piece of paper is worth as much as it can provide for you at any given time. For example a small piece of green paper, with a dead president on it can buy or provide a lot of things. However this is nominal compared to other pieces of paper.
Another example of a good piece of paper to have is the “right” certifications from the “right” training companies or programs. These documents (pieces of paper) demonstrate a certain level of technical and professional competencies. With the “right” piece of paper you can take your career to larger plateaus.
But what about a formal degree: whether the degree is a two year, four year, masters or doctorate degree. What is the return on investment from getting these degrees and most importantly how they can help in your career?
• Two year degree- This is a general degree which in most cases will provide you with some basic skills. The skills generally deal with “readin, ritin and rithmetic”. These skills will provide a solid foundation for going forward in higher education. There is nothing wrong with ending at this level. As professional experience is sometimes more important than what letter grade you got in math.
• Four year degree- This degree will provide more liberal education, or technical education (depending on degree granting institution). The liberal education will provide and hone your skills of writing, researching and understanding human behaviors. If the degrees come from the technical side, you will able to better understand the nuts and bolts of the industry.
• Masters degree- first and foremost not all masters are created equally, if you were looking to expand your business operations and understand an MBA might be best suited for you, if you were looking just for leadership, or some psychological training to help with threat assessments, an organizational leadership or psychological or forensic masters might be what you should look into.
• Doctorate- this level provides for you to be recognized by most communities as a subject matter expert in the selected field of study. Your profession might recognize you as one of the best, but others might not.
• Other pieces of paper-EMT certifications, police training certificates, first responder and the like will enhance your marketability.
All of these pieces of paper demonstrate that you have the commitment and follow through, and willingness to go forward. Going forward, I will talk about different deliver methods (online/on ground) and tell you how to research your higher education schools. There is good and bad about everthing.
If there is anything that I can do, don’t hesitate to send me an email at email@example.com