By Doc Rogers
You’ve got your first bodyguard assignment, congratulations. Now its time to use calm judgment and plan out the assignment with a focused mind so you can prepare properly. The more you plan ahead, the better possibility for success. The overall objective of executive protection (EP) in the real world is to create a secure environment conducive to the business activities being carried out by the client within a particular area.
Your main objectives should include: preventing and addressing security threats that affect the client’s well-being, prioritizing core EP needs, identifying, assessing and controlling risks. This is accomplished by categorizing threats for risk management planning and execution of the EP operations. If threat groups are operating in the area:
• Identify your enemy.
• Their method of operation – likely techniques and tactics that may be used.
• Their overall professionalism – are they sophisticated or armature’s.
• Their recent Attacks – and possible pre-incident indicators.
• Minimize these threats by advance work to develop a plan to avoid them.
• Employ basic EP measures to deter and mitigate the threats.
• Establish the appropriate EP plan, security controls and need to know procedures.