By Doc Rogers
As a Detail Leader (DL) you cannot do the assignment all yourself. If you try you’ll be exhausted, won’t be able to do your own duties. You’ll be spreading yourself too thin and not making proper use of your bodyguard (BG) manpower. Here’s the professional way to delegate duties to your team members:
1. Put It in Writing. Define what is to be done in writing. Make copies and distribute to the BGs on your team. Putting it in writing ensures everyone knows what’s to be done and it serves as a reminder for the team. Put tasks in checklist form, allowing team members to check-off completed tasks as they go along.
2. Understanding. Be certain your BG teammates understand what is to be done. Make a list of tasks that need to be carried out for each deliverable. When delegating tasks ensure you perform a Q and A session with the team to make sure everyone understands the mission. This allows each agent to speak up and make certain they understand their assigned tasks.
3. Explain the “Why”. Explain why the task is to be done as you are suggesting it. Make sure your team knows why they are performing the task. Sometimes knowing why is as important as knowing how. This is an efficient teaching strategy for DLs.
4. Describe How. Describe how it is to be done without micro managing. The skill of knowing how to do the assigned task is a must for everybody. However, do not instruct the team on how to do specific tasks in an excessive or meddlesome manner. The BG members on your team should all know the fundamentals of the job. Instruct them in a clear and professional manner and move on. There is no need for micro management.
5. Standard Operating Procedures. Be sure your BG teammates understand the procedures and follow them. You should provide a brief refresher on SOPs to reinforce them in a positive manner.
6. Make a Deadline. Fix a deadline for completion of the task or advance work progress report. You must fix a deadline for completed work and for achieving the goals set.
7. Monitor Progress. Keep a watchful non-intrusive eye on your team. Monitor the BG team’s progress to make certain that you are maintaining a successful, high performing team. If required give suggestions to less experienced team members. DLs monitor the team’s progress to ensure they achieve the targets set. I sincerely hope this Bodyguard Delegation Process assists you on your next BG assignment. Keep safe and God speed.